Go To College
Jobs for the Future projects that at least 60% of jobs in Texas will require a technical certificate or college degree by 2020. Only 3% of GED recipients nationwide ever go on to earn a higher credential. These students need support and assistance to continue their education. Without support and assistance, these students are more likely to drop out from college, giving them a significantly lower average income and compromising their ability to provide opportunities for their children. This creates and ongoing cycle of poverty that weakens the local economy.
The Compass program supports first generation college students, during their first year of college, when they are most likely to drop out. Our goal is to serve as the critical link to help students select and complete the best post-secondary programs.
• Assistance with financial aid preparation and offer a financial literacy course
• Help with identifying high-demand career pathways that offer employment at sustainable wages, and related post-secondary programs, or "Best Bets"
• Instruction and mentoring on proven success strategies such as time management and goal setting, and free tutoring for coursework
• Resume preparation, job search, and interview skills
• A quiet study area equipped with laptops so that students may complete their coursework and receive tutoring
• A textbook library available for those unable to afford books for their classes
• Personal support from staff and connections to social services from our community partner network
1) If you have recently graduated from our Passport Program, or
2) If you have recently received your GED and are interested in attending a local community college or university
• Financial aid preparation assistance
• Financial literacy course
• College advising and degree planning
• Registration assistance
• Transfer planning assistance
• Resume, job serach and interview skill preparation and assistance
• Tutoring for college courses
• Study space and access to laptops
• College textbook library
Please call our office for more information or for an application: (210) 432.6123